IRS revenue officers work in the collections department and are often assigned to taxpayers with outstanding back taxes. If a revenue officer is assigned to you, it’s the IRS’ way of telling you that you need to pay soon.

You will have to do what they ask, when they ask, and you will not be able to speak to anyone else in the collections department.

Revenue officers have the authority to garnish wages, levy bank accounts, and go after innocent spouses. In some cases, they may even seize your property if they believe it’s necessary.

If you fail to file your tax returns, the IRS will submit an substitute for returns (SFR) debt on your behalf. This may cause you to be misrepresented and will affect any installment agreement or offer-in-compromise amount you wish to settle upon in the future.

While working with a revenue officer alone, you may find yourself struggling to understand exactly what they are and aren’t authorized to do. The best thing to do is cooperate, submit all missing data and find a tax attorney to represent you and work with your revenue officer on your behalf.

If you find yourself in such a predicament and need assistance in dealing with a revenue officer from the IRS, call 877-829-3535 and let the seasoned tax attorneys at US Tax Shield help you successfully settle back tax issues.